About the Foundation
The Lady Minto Hospital Foundation raises, stewards and disperses funds to support excellence in patient care and comfort at Lady Minto Hospital for the community it serves.
To fund the Lady Minto Hospital to provide all necessary education and equipment to allow for optimal functioning of the staff and physicians and ideal care for patients.
- Trustworthy – operating in a professional, accountable and collaborative manner
- Flexible – honouring past direction while being willing to adapt to changing environments
- Community Centred – Funding projects, equipment, and education that has the greatest potential benefit to the health of island residents.
- Integrity – functioning in a respectful, cohesive and fiscally responsible manner
Governed by a volunteer Board of Directors the Foundation bestows grants for equipment, health education, and major renovations. The role of the Board is to manage the Foundation funds prudently, and to raise funds that will ensure the long term preservation of quality health care on the Island while meeting short term needs of providing medical professionals with the tools that they need to do their jobs.
The Lady Minto Hospital Foundation was officially registered as a charitable society on the 24th of February 1992, following a number of years of informal fund raising.
As an Islander you and your family do! Contributions are only used at home to ensure local, high quality health care. The Island Health Authority (formerly VIHA) and the Capital Regional Hospital District cannot fund all equipment, but the need for new equipment and upgrading of services is ongoing and must be continually addressed. With the generous support of our donors, the Lady Minto Hospital Foundation is able to provide the funding for new equipment and enhanced services and facilities.
Over the years Islanders have provided funds for major equipment items in the Laboratory, Cardiac Care, Medical Imaging including Ultrasound, Birthing Suite, Palliative Care Suites and the Endoscopy Suite. Smaller projects and equipment purchases for areas throughout the hospital have also been possible through the generosity of our community. Regular contributions are made annually to the Staff Education Fund as well as the Extended Care Fund which provides comforts and programs for the residential care clients.
History of the Foundation
This is a story of a caring, generous community that very early on recognized the need for the local provision of reliable, high-quality health care. Beginning with a group of high-powered women and a benevolent doctor who provided land and leadership to establish the first small hospital on Salt Spring Island for all of the Gulf Islands, the hospital has benefited from many determined, dynamic, and entrepreneurial individuals and groups who have alternately taken leadership and supporting roles in providing a small community with a first-class facility.
Wife of Governor General of Canada 1898-1904
Photo courtesy of National Archives of Canada
A group of family doctors takes calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. BC Ambulance can transfer patients by ferry or helicopter.
Midwives provide low risk obstetric services with nursing support.
Lady Minto has a quiet room for psychiatric services.
The Lady Minto ECU shares a building with a 20 bed Acute Care Unit and includes a multi-function lounge with a well-equipped kitchen, fireplace, piano, large-screen television and tables for dining and for games.
Available Monday to Friday, 7:30 to 2:00 pm. Closed Statutory Holidays. Island Health Laboratory Call Centre – 250.370.8355 or 1.866.370.8355
Services include Fluoroscopy, Radiology (X-ray), Ultrasound (US).
Lady Minto Hospital Foundaion
135 Crofton Road
Salt Spring Island, BC
V8K 1T1, Canada